House of Hsueh....Clothing for the Everyday Woman


Cynthia C (l) and Benita Hsueh (r)



I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and speak with Benita Hsueh (above, right) at the Holt’s Café recently. Benita, who is 5'0", recently came out with her own line, House of Hsueh, which is designed for women 5'4" or shorter, for the most part, but can also fit women who are on the taller side of average, up to 5'7" or so. Benita's clothes are funkier than the typical boxy shapes one finds most petite lines. Yet, it is still conservative enough for the office environment. Benita describes her line as "mod wearable" and she is very influenced by the styles of the 1950s and the Kennedy-era 1960s. She also loves sewing books from that period as they describe what looks best on what bodies, including a variety of petite shapes (opposed to current magazines, which only show one type of petite body---short and slim).


Benita on whether buyers take her line seriously:


It's very difficult. No one wants to talk to you if you don't have any connections. Your line won't sell if you don't know anyone and if you don't have a portfolio or have anything in stores, you just won't get attention. When they do show interest, they usually ask for pictures, often by e-mail. I've had good feedback so far.

On the fashion industry's reaction to House of Hsueh or how she'd think they'd react...

There has not been much reaction, mostly due to the newness of my label (I just started in January 2007), and the fact that I have not been too proactive with marketing. So far the general public is very receptive of my designs, and that is what counts to me, as I make fun yet professional clothes for today's women. As for how I think the fashion industry would view House of Hsueh, I am not too sure, and to be honest, I do not really care. House of Hsueh is a labour of love, and I am not out there to make the industry love me, I’m out there to have women love my clothing and designs.



On why people usually say petite sizes aren't marketable, even though many women are under 5'4" and why...

Petite is often seen as "short and dumpy" and most petite clothes in stores are very grandmother-like as they tend to be cut for a more mature figure. Therefore, petite women who want youthful cuts (which are closer fit), won't buy petite because it isn't flattering which causes department stores and boutiques to stop selling petite items. If they do, it tends to be a boxier cut, made for a different demographic of women. In the end it all comes down to dollars and cents, if petite women are still willing to buy ill fitting but fashionable clothing, retailers do not need to stalk petite sizes and incur more costs.
On whether there is demand for petites...
Yes, but it is a matter of changing the perception of what petite means to retailers in terms of dollars and cents and us petite refusing to buy ill fitting clothing for the sole reason that it is fashionable. "It is not fashionable if it does not fit." I think if petite women were to speak up more and encourage designers like myself to consider them and with China opening up to the world, us petites will definitely find more youthfully cut fashionable clothing available to us.


On whether she thinks many petite women don't realize they're petite

Yes, lots of women don't know, especially those who are over a size 8 or so. Petite is about height. If you are under 5'4", you are petite.


On finding the perfect model and reaction from modeling agencies...

I actually did not bother with any agencies at all. I have been told that short models do not turn out great pictures due to their shorter legs, but I already pictured what kind of model I wanted my clothes to be portrayed by. I think as long as I can find willing models, I will probably stick to friends whom I think have the body type that I want my company to encourage...mainly healthy.
On how specialty-sized designers should market themselves:

First, we must shift the image. It must be marketed that it's okay to be this size and that it is for the everyday woman. The everyday woman isn't 6' tall and super-thin. My line promotes a healthy body. My model, Rachel (top image), for example, is 5’2” with an athletic build. I wanted to show that petite women can indeed look fashionable in print. As such, I am lucky to have good looking friends, and approached Rachel who is a good friend and in a band (We're for Barton) with my boyfriend.


On whether specialty-sized designers can be successful

Yes, but you have to work eight times as hard to get your foot in the door. The industry is hard as is already. Some markets are also difficult to get into if you aren't well-known.



On whether she wants to change the world…

I do not want to change the world, however, I do want the world to take notice of what I do and to realize that there is another body type out there other than the tall and slim we see in the fashion magazines, the 5'6" industry average we see in the malls, and the large and lovely we see in the news. I want petite figured women to know that it is ok as consumers to demand that products be made for the petite figure, we do not need to put up with boxy mature clothing, or ill fitting clothing. According to a 2005 Canadian Community Health Survey done by statistics Canada, the average Canadian female height is 5' 3.4" and 153 pounds, aka a 'petite' woman.



On how she wants to take her line...

To own a store in Toronto and to make whatever I want whenever I want!


On whether she had a designer she admires…


Oh definitely, Coco Chanel!


I wish Benita the the most success with her line. House of Hsueh can be purchased at:

Belinda's Boutique
2017 Avenue Road, Toronto

Nathalie-Roze + Co.
1015 Queen Street East, Toronto


and online at:
This interview has also been posted at my main Shorty Stories site.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...